A Travellerspoint blog

My Cup Runneth Over...

...with things to do, that is.

sunny 23 °C

You know it gonna be a busy week when your week starts off with a 9 hour day, frantically running all over Eastern Market only to get home in time to grab dinner before Metro-ing it up the green/yellow line(s) to a Cat Power concert at the 9:30 Club. To make a Monday even more exciting, we got more than we bargained for with our concert tickets when not only did we get to see Cat Power perform but a swich blade comb toting, drugged out, dizzily disoriented, incomprehensible singer open up for her. The quality of his entertainment was questionable, but amused we were by his antics.

Tuesday started off with my research seminar meeting starting late, Metro running late, and me getting to work even later. Apparently being late stresses me out cause I just felt rushed all day until I was out of there and able to with Marty a Happy 25th Birthday!!

Wednesday gets its own entry cause there was just too much going on...read on and check next entry for Wednesday's goings on.

Thursday. I love Thursday, usually but not this Thursday. At work we have been preparing for a couple big things. One, our regional conferences held all over the country for our activist. Two, United Nations day events on Oct. 24th. Thursday was the day that everything for both of those days needed immediate attention and spilled over into my Friday (another early and then late) day where I frantically cut and pasted, typed and printed the materials for the regional conferences only to finish. My lunch break for Thai with Gaelan's boyfriend, John, (and the 6 hours of sleep I got) were the only break up to my dash to the deadline 5pm Friday. As Meredith, my boss, jet out the door to hop a plane to Miami for the first of the conferences, I handed off the last 2 days' work. I was satisfied, but not done. I finally ditched the office around 6 not to return for 2 whole days!

Friday night I just needed to chill so my roommate and I headed out to Tryst, the local coffee shop in Adams Morgan. We walked out of the building to a slight drizzle and 30 minutes later dropped our freezing, soaking, windburned selves onto one of the couches at the not-so-quite coffee spot. Not quite an hour later, wet, chilled by the air vent, stomachs sloshing with lukewarm mulled apple cider, we called it quits and slopped home in the wet streets under an almost mockingly light drizzle. I am determined to like that coffee shop though, its very euro-gourmet and kinda funky in an Aroma Roasters meets antique furniture store kind of way. I'll be back.

Saturday was my day at the Zoo. Its kinda weird because all the Smithsonian's are free and you just walk in so one minute you are walking down the street and the next you are in a national zoo staring at a sloth bear, golden lion tamarins or the baby elephant. They have a really neat primate house where the orangutans can choose to sleep in one part of the park or another (connected by cables and platforms on which they transport themselves) and a great reptiles habitat.

I walked back from the zoo through Woodly Park and down Connecticut loving all the fall color and turning leaves that line the streets and shadow the front stoops of the row houses. It was a good week. Eventful days, relaxing nights. Not too bad if you ask me.

Posted by tuffchix 13:12 Archived in USA Tagged tourist_sites

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint